Going through a divorce or separation may be one of the most difficult experiences a person can face. The Law Office of Thomas Lai have the knowledge, experience and skill necessary to assist you in getting through the process by protecting your legal rights and achieving your goals. Our Firm emphasizes a personal approach in its relationship with our clients, and we pledge to provide our very best efforts in serving the needs of our clients, and in obtaining our client's goals and objectives. From day one, our clients receive the attention, advice, and service they need and deserve.
Thomas Lai, esq. is known as tough but fair negotiator who can often achieve favorable settlements on behalf of their clients without the necessity of litigation. In the event, however, that a settlement is not possible, we will be ready to proceed to trial and litigate.
Divorce and Separation
• Contested Divorce: If there are unresolved issues in your divorce, we can help you understand your rights and options.
• Uncontested Divorce: We can help you quickly and cost-effectively complete a divorce if you and your spouse have no issues in dispute.
• Prenuptial Agreement: Protect the financial assets each partner brings to the relationship and define support rights following marriage.
• Separation Agreement: If you and your spouse are separating, you can protect your rights with a formal separation agreement.
Custody, Support and Property Division
• Child Support: Children in New York have a right to child support. We can help you get a fair determination or enforce a judgment.
• Alimony/Spousal Maintenance: In some family law cases, the court will find that one spouse is entitled to temporary or permanent support.
• Child Custody/Visitation: New York law prioritizes the best interests of the child and will try to reach a resolution involving both parents.
• Grandparents rights: In New York, grandparents have a right to visitation with their grandchildren in certain circumstances and can enforce this right in court.
• Equitable Distribution of Property: We will explain New York’s laws for property division in divorce and make the case for your desired outcome.